In Kendra Aucker’s first year as CEO of Evangelical Community Hospital, she personally met with 2,000 staff members. “You can’t do the job well if you don’t focus on the people,” she says, her strategy’s success demonstrated in impressive employee engagement numbers.
Instituting such programs as “walking a mile in someone else’s shoes,” Kendra broke down barriers to build a happier team, in turn leading to happier patients.
Her tips for similar success:
- Offer job shadowing across departments and ranks.
- Have zero tolerance for negativity/bullying.
- Build a culture of trust. Eliminate those who undermine it.
- Effect change by focusing on your impact on the world.
- Understand and commit yourself to your people.