“If anyone is here just for the money, and not here to share our world with our guests, be world-class, and be the best winery in Texas… I’ll pay you to resign today,” Chris Brundrett once told his staff. “We’ll even help you find another job.” When no one left, it was a sure sign Chris had built a team driven by its core values.
Chris’ advice for values-driven leadership:
- “Hard decisions – easy life. Easy decisions – hard life.”
- Define and execute your values to determine a long-term path to success.
- Let your values guide your most difficult decisions.
- Recognize team members exhibiting great values.
- Release those who don’t support your values — even if it’s your top earner.